zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Edward Ribeiro <edward.ribe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Optimization - dedicated transaction log directory
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2015 16:22:17 GMT
Hi,

By avoiding to put the *transaction log dir* on a busy device, competing
for disk I/O with the snapshot data and other systems (e.g, HDFS or HBase).
The transaction log is critical to ZK performance because ZK syncs the
transactions on disk before returning a response, according to
http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.1.2/zookeeperAdmin.html. So, a fast disk
is recommended, even if not that large. This principle of putting
commit/transaction logs on dedicated devices is highly recommended by other
big data systems like Cassandra, for example.

Regards,
Ed