zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Van Klaveren, Brian N." <b...@slac.stanford.edu>
Subject Re: Running zookeeper with journaling disabled on an ext4
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2015 17:59:33 GMT
If 3 of the 5 servers were to shutdown and the files on those servers were to become corrupted,
you would assuredly have data loss.

Do you have your disks behind a raid controller with non-volatile cache (aka write back cache)?

Brian

> On Oct 21, 2015, at 9:49 AM, Adrian Hamza <adrian.hamza@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> What's your opinion on running Zookeeper with file system journaling disabled on an EXT4
file system?
> We need every ounce of performance out of it, and I believe given the Zookeeper implementation
(operations are logged, majority quorum is required for succeeding, checkpoints are swapped
only after being complete) I feel that EXT4 journaling is redundant. Disabling EXT4 journaling
could improve performance. We have 5 servers in a Zookeeper ensemble. Am I missing something
or this should be fine?