zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Prevent a znode from exceeding jute.maxbuffer
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2015 01:05:42 GMT
On 10/1/2015 6:35 PM, Edward Ribeiro wrote:
> I agree with you, and I think
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2260 comes close to the
> second approach you suggested. wdyt?

Interesting!  That could be helpful.

I think it would require changes to the user application code, to handle
the pagination.  If that could be avoided, it would be better, but I'm
not sure that it can be avoided.

If changes to user code are required, I think I like the idea of
rejecting new child creation more -- user code changes will be about
properly handling exceptions at update time instead of modifying the
consuming code to paginate.

A feature to reject child creation should probably be a mode of
operation that can be enabled, but will not be turned on by default.
Down the road, after the real-world impact of that option has been
determined, the question of whether to turn it on by default can be
reviewed, and perhaps delayed until the next major release (4.0).

A corollary idea -- allow configurable thresholds (percentages of
jute.maxbuffer, maybe) which will slow down the creation of new
children, with the amount of pause increasing as the size of the znode
increases .. and ultimately reject the creation if the buffer size would
actually be exceeded.  I have mixed feelings about this idea.

Thanks,
Shawn