zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Powell Molleti <pmoll...@vmware.com>
Subject Re: quorum connection manager shutdown takes long time
Date Mon, 31 Aug 2015 21:34:38 GMT
In reference to:

Plainly removing  sock.setSoTimeout(0) from http://s.apache.org/TfI has the unintended consequence
of shutting down both the RecvWorker and SendWorker threads for all cases. Seems like current
code is designed to  keep the socket alive (and threads to keep running) so as to reuse this
channel to communicate again with the the peer node which still alive but needs to redo leader
election.

I could not reproduce any issue if threads shutdown after the timeout since new threads are
created for next iteration of leader election. I rather would like to reuse the threads and
the channel hence I propose the following approach.

The alternative I suggest is to still remove setSoTimeout(0) from here: http://s.apache.org/TfI
 , also enable SO_KEEPALIVE via setKeepAlive() on this socket and do not consider it an error
when timeout occurs here: http://bit.ly/1JHIdVY but consider it an error when it happens here:
http://bit.ly/1NTjQ9R

This means that users can play with keep alive timeouts for TCP sockets to quicken TCP socket
failures propagating to user-space and zookeeper also resets the socket if it detects other
side is not responding when it knows it needs a response within some bounded time.

Ideally I wish there is some userspace pings of every socket channel between zookeeper nodes
to detect dead channels quickly. Seems like one exists for sockets that do Follow/Lead after
leader election is done but not for this?. Such a feature could be added with care towards
making it backward compatible.

I posted the above text to Jira. Also please point out any wrong assumptions I have made and
provide comments and suggestions.

Thanks
Powell.