zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Prabhjot Bharaj <prabhbha...@gmail.com>
Subject Doubt in Atomic Broadcast
Date Sun, 30 Aug 2015 15:47:36 GMT
Hello Folks,

I am going through zookeeper internals described here:
http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.6/zookeeperInternals.html

I have some very basic doubts in understanding the Gurantees - *Reliable
delivery, **Total order *and *Causal order*

1. I do not understand the term - 'delivery' and 'order' in these sections.
   a) Delivery - Does 'delivery' refer to delivery of messages from server
to server or server to client ?
   b) Order - As per this link:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/Zab+vs.+Paxos, state
updates must be ordered - What kind of state updates are these ? Does the
term - 'order' in this link and the one shared in the top of this email
have the same meaning ?

2. *'**If a message, m, is delivered by one server, it will be eventually
delivered by all servers.'* - delivered <from what> <to what> ?

3. If a and b are delivered messages, either a will be delivered before b
or b will be delivered before a -- dont really understand what this means !

4. the terms sender - Does sender classify as one of the zookeeper servers
in the cluster or the client ?

Request you to share your knowledge on my doubts so I can learn more on the
internals and be able to use zookeeper effectively

Thanks,
Prabhjot