zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Zookeeper server with SASL allows any old zkCli instance to connect
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2015 02:36:41 GMT
Hi Daniel. We provide authorization on znodes via ACL, but we don't
use authentication to exclude particular clients from using the
service. Just because you can authenticate doesn't mean much. Say you
have valid kerberos credentials, what does that mean in the context of
a particular znode w/o ACL?

ZK was meant as a multi-application service. We protect against one
application impacting another if ACLs are used. Say you have two
services A and B using ZK, they both have valid credentials. It is
still likely the case that they shouldn't access each other's znodes
(say HBase and Solr as concrete examples, they might be managed by
totally different teams with different security constraints)

Hope this helps,

Patrick