zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Ibrahim El-sanosi (PGR)" <i.s.el-san...@newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject RE: Doubt in Atomic Broadcast
Date Sun, 30 Aug 2015 20:47:10 GMT
I have found that Paxos, Zab and Raft have relatively  similar structure and purpose. For example,
all are centralization approach and providing total order for state machine update. The only
different is that the number and the name of round-trips for write operation which are only
 different.  It is true that the leader election (looking phase) may be different but I am
here comparing the protocols in failure-free period.

Regards,

Ibrahim

-----Original Message-----
From: Flavio Junqueira [mailto:fpjunqueira@yahoo.com.INVALID]
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2015 07:47 م
To: user@zookeeper.apache.org
Subject: Re: Doubt in Atomic Broadcast

Thanks for the insight, Martin.

On 30 Aug 2015, at 18:20, Martin Kersten <martin.kersten.mk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Zookeeper is all about a shared state called a consensus.

Consensus in the context of zookeeper is about agreeing on state.

> So everything
> that it is at its core is providing any means of joining a group of
> servers and elect a leader and share information that result in a
> predictable shared state that all servers agree on.

There is a distinction between clients and servers. Client connect to an ensemble and submit
requests. The requests that update the state are replicated to make sure that the replicas
remain consistent.

As for predictability, I think you're referring to consistency. There are too many possible
issues in a distributed system that make predictability really hard if not impossible.

> The most popular consensus algorithm is the Raft algorithm:
> https://ramcloud.stanford.edu/*raft*.pdf. Reading this paper should
> clarify most of your confusion regarding what Zookeeper achieves at its very core.

ZooKeeper isn't based on Raft, it uses Zab. If you're interested in the space of replication
protocols, then reading the Paxos papers and others including Raft makes sense.