zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Odd Number of Nodes spread across 3 Datacenter
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2015 09:00:49 GMT
I don't think there is a straightforward answer to the question, but here is some insight.

If you use 3 servers with 3 data centers, you'll have one server per DC, which means that
upon a crash, the clients in some data center will have to go remotely for reads.

With 5 servers, at least one DC will have at most one server, which is a bit better, but the
DC with one server will have the problem that with the one server crashing, the clients will
need to go remotely for reads.

7 or 9 are better options, since you can have multiple nodes per DC to serve local read traffic.

I have used 5-7 per DC with flexible quorums in a system I worked on.

-Flavio