zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Shraer <shra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Leader removal 3.5.0-alpha
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2015 22:02:05 GMT
Hi Armisha,

We decided not to switch off servers when they are removed, this is left to
the administrator. The motivation was that a) there may be clients
connected to the removed servers and we'd like to give them the chance to
migrate gracefully, e.g., by using random timeouts, and not all together.
And b) there are corner case scenarios where you'd need to remove a server
to change its role (specifically, when changing an observer to a follower).
This is described in the reconfiguraton manual
<http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperReconfig.html#sc_reconfig_additional>
.

So currently the removal is "logical" -- the server looses its voting
rights.

Cheers,
Alex