zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: locking/leader election and dealing with session loss
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2015 19:23:00 GMT
I blogged about this exact problem a couple of weeks ago [1]. I give an
example of how split brain can happen in a resource under a zk lock (Hbase
in this case). As Camille says, sequence numbers ftw. I'll add that the
data store has to support them though, which not all do (in fact I've yet
to see one in the wild that does). I've implemented a prototype that works
with hbase[2] if you want to see what it looks like.

-Ivan

[1]
https://medium.com/@ivankelly/reliable-table-writer-locks-for-hbase-731024295215
[2] https://github.com/ivankelly/hbase-exclusive-writer