zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Vikas Mehta <vikasme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: locking/leader election and dealing with session loss
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2015 19:58:42 GMT
Ivan, Thanks for the references. Great write up describing the problem and
the solution. I agree that for total ordering storage layer should provide
the guarantee.

However, in my scenario, I don't have a global/central storage system
(trying to build a globally (servers in different continents) distributed
storage system), I am minimizing the chances of multiple writers with longer
timeouts and eliminating the downtime during planned maintenance, but don't
have a way to deal with zookeeper ensemble being DEAD (or in leader
election), which wipes out the entire application.

Currently, we twiddle our thumbs when zookeeper or network has issues and
would like to find a way to improve the application availability during
zookeeper service interruptions.

Using multiple ensembles seems like a promising path, but I wanted to see if
anyone has thought about extending the error handling between zookeeper
client/server to deal with this issue.