zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Jenkins ...@foursquare.com>
Subject Overhead of Having Lots of Watches
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2015 13:38:06 GMT
I've got a few thousand clients connected to a ZK cluster that retrieve a ~100KB json blob
with some configuration. When any configuration value is updated  it causes a significant
network spike as every client tries to get the new json blob. Multiple updates at the same
time can also cause a bit of client thrashing as the clients try to push their updated json
and it's rejected because some other client was pushing a different change.

There are a variety of ways to work around these issues, but it got me curious how expensive
it is to keep watches. Let's say I have ~10000 configuration values and ~1000 clients. Could
I create one ZK node for each configuration value and have each client place a watch on every
node (for a total of ~10M watches)? The docs[1] weren't super clear on how they're implemented,
so I can't tell how expensive they are.

Using this method would make my updates MUCH cheaper because I'd be updating a trivially small
node and sending that tiny amount of data to the same number of clients. What I'm not sure
about is if the steady state of so many watches is going to overload the zk cluster. I'm also
curious if adding observer nodes to the cluster would be a good idea in this scenario.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Jeff

[1] http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.1.2/zookeeperProgrammers.html#ch_zkWatches <http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.1.2/zookeeperProgrammers.html#ch_zkWatches>