zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Wyngaard, Jane R (3980-Affiliate)" <Jane.R.Wynga...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Zookeeper not starting but not reporting any problem either
Date Tue, 05 May 2015 22:50:52 GMT
Hi,

I’m new to zookeeper but am at a loss after trying loads of things:
- On running zkServer.sh start  I get a report that it has started,
- But on checking the status I’m told there’s a connection error.
- And on stopping I’m told it wasn’t even running

Here’s the exact output:
---------------
jwyngaard@Head:~$ zkServer.sh start
JMX enabled by default
Using config: /usr/local/zookeeper/zookeeper-3.4.6/bin/../conf/zoo.cfg
Starting zookeeper ... STARTED

jwyngaard@Head:~$ zkServer.sh status
JMX enabled by default
Using config: /usr/local/zookeeper/zookeeper-3.4.6/bin/../conf/zoo.cfg
Error contacting service. It is probably not running.

jwyngaard@Head:~$ zkServer.sh stop
JMX enabled by default
Using config: /usr/local/zookeeper/zookeeper-3.4.6/bin/../conf/zoo.cfg
Stopping zookeeper ... /usr/local/zookeeper/zookeeper-3.4.6/bin/zkServer.sh: line 143: kill:
(2656) - No such process
STOPPED
------------------

- My config file is simply the sample with 2 servers added.  I’ve created and pointed to
a data directory and given the machines their own myids.
- This is being run on 2 VirtualBox Ubuntu VMs, both with NAT and host-only static IP (which
Zookeeper targets) network connections
- Identical problem on both VMs

The really odd thing is there are no log files reporting what the issue is.  In the target
data directory I get a PID file and a empty directory called “version-2” but that’s
it.

I’ve played around with the VM network settings extensively, and tried forcing ports open,
but I’m not really sure what the issue is, just assuming its a network problem.  Both machines
are ssh accessible from the host, can access the outside world and each other, and have no
firewalls.

I’ve seen the couple of reports online of a similar issue but none of the solutions/situations
offered match this exactly.

  Anyone have any ideas?

Much thanks!

Jane