zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From penguin <barry.barn...@wellsfargo.com>
Subject RE: New Zookeeper Installation - connection refused
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2015 13:59:43 GMT
Doesn’t appear to be any type of firewall rule or DNS name resolution after several tests.
 Let me ask this..

I unzipped/tar’d the 3.4.6 version of Zookeeper on our machines, created the zoo.cfg file
and the myid file for each ZK server (myid just has a 1, 2 or 3 in it, depending on the Server
instance).  I created the data directory where I stored the myid file as well.

Is there something missing in the steps I’ve taken?  When I start up all instances (3),
the first instance carrys the zookeeper.out log file, whereas the other two instances don’t
seem to throw any information to their zookeeper.out files (is this normal?).

Regards,

Barry

From: Flavio Junqueira-2 [via zookeeper-user] [mailto:ml-node+s578899n7580878h66@n2.nabble.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:53 PM
To: Barnett, Barry F
Subject: Re: New Zookeeper Installation - connection refused

It's hard to say what the problem is without more information. For leader election, the servers
will try to create a TCP connection with each other, so if you have tested separately and
your sample code worked for the same ports, the only thing I can think of is that there is
a problem with the server name resolution. Is it possible that the ZK servers aren't resolving
the names of your servers appropriately?

Perhaps you could also use tcpdump or some similar tool to inspect the network traffic. In
fact, I think someone here has written a tool to inspect the leader election traffic and display
it. Was it Raul?

-Flavio

> On 24 Feb 2015, at 16:31, penguin <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7580878&i=0>>
wrote:

> Ok, I have tried various setups (5 and 3 ZK Server instances), and neither work, both
receiving the ‘connection refused’ error.

> I’m now at the 3 ZK ensemble, 1 ZK server instance per physical machine.
>
> Myid file is set to 1,2 and 3 respectively on the machines.
> Zoo.cfg has the following, and uses 2181 as its client port:
>
> server.1=servername:2888:3888
> server.2=servername:2888:3888
> server.3=servername:2888:3888
>
> Interestingly enough, when I start up the server1 instance, the zookeeper.out file receives
ongoing information on the connection refused to each server instance.  When I start up the
servers on machines 2 and 3, those zookeeper.out files do not receive any information.  Is
that normal?

> In any case, I’ve checked the ports by using nc –v hostname port, and connections
are successful.  So this is not a firewall issue or port block issue.  I’ve had my OSE’s
check the servers as well to ensure no communications issue.