zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ibrahim <i.s.el-san...@newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject RE: Question about the two-phrase commit
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2015 00:08:36 GMT
Ok, this is really interesting. In this case, we can say that the new leader has to re-broadcast
all logged operations,  it doesn’t matter whether the operation gets the acknowledgment
from quorum or not, because the leader can’t distinguish  between committed logged operation
and non-committed logged operation.

I am also thinking, when the ensemble establishes, the leader apply the snapshot in-memory
before log file, in this case the leader will only re-broadcast the operation that hasn’t
got enough majority (quorum) before crashes. If this is true, my above statement will be wrong.

Which one of both statement is correct?

Thank you

Ibrahim

From: Alexander Shraer-2 [via zookeeper-user] [mailto:ml-node+s578899n7580740h64@n2.nabble.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2015 11:51 م
To: Ibrahim El-sanosi (PGR)
Subject: Re: Question about the two-phrase commit

Yes, if the leader has this operation in its log (not guaranteed if it
wasn't acked by majority in previous ensemble, but possible), the leader
will make sure that a quorum of followers in the new ensemble has this
operation before doing anything else in the new ensemble.

Alex

http://zookeeper-user.578899.n2.nabble.com/Question-about-the-two-phrase-commit-tp7580725p7580740.html
NAML<http://zookeeper-user.578899.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>