Hello Otis,
  in fact, I try to avoid JMX altogether :-) You will find that the ZooKeeperServer MBean also provides a getVersion() method.

As for monitoring, we prefer to instrument Zookeeper with an additional thread that periodically reports into our monitoring framework. This way, we don't have to rely on the slightly strange security models of JMX, but can handle any protocol necessary. It also does not require JMX ports to be exposed through firewalls shielding the Zookeeper ensemble from the rest of the world - including the monitoring sites. JMX would only be used for ad-hoc inspections of run-time parameters. Well, I guess it is a somewhat religious issue whether to use JMX or not.

Best regards,
--Jürgen