zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From ralph tice <ralph.t...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migrating Zookeeper cluster (3.4.6) to different machines
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2014 23:06:21 GMT
We've always done a rolling restart of the cluster when we add new
nodes to make sure all ZK are talking to each other.  It's definitely
a great way to validate whether your ZK clients are correctly
configured for retries.

We don't ever try to replace machines with the same ID as a previous
node, as per earlier in the thread that's not a good idea unless the
IP stays the same and I don't think it's worth the effort of shrinking
your quorum and juggling IPs.

The docs for the new dynamic reconfiguration feature in 3.5+ has a
good summation of the historical context that applies to 3.4.6 re:
rolling restarts
http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperReconfig.html