zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Kelly <i...@ivankelly.net>
Subject Re: Session timeout parameter question
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2014 15:53:11 GMT
As I understand (from the code), if the 2/3 timeout triggers, the
socket will be cleaned up, so yet, if the server does response in the
last 1/3, the response will be lost. If the client gets through half
the timeout without hearing from the server, it sends a ping, so the
ping has 1/6 of the timeout to respond.

-Ivan

On 3 November 2014 16:01, Daniel Peon Quiros
<daniel.peon.quiros@ericsson.com> wrote:
> Hi Ivan, all,
>
> If I didn't understand wrong, then if there is no answer from the server in 2/3 of the
session timeout, the client will search another server to connect to it. But, does it mean
that once the client is looking for a different server, it will connect to it even though
in the last 1/3 of the session timeout the server eventually answers?

> As it is stated below, the client has 1/3 of the timeout to find another server, but
my concern is what would happen if the server answers in that last 1/3 of the session timeout:
does the client keep the connection to the same server? Or on the contrary does the client
connect to a different server anyway?

> Kind regards,
>
> Dani.

from the client. If the partition happens just after the server has heard from the client
and only last 2/3 of the timeout, the session will probably not be timed out. The server will
not timeout a session until it hasn't heard from the client for the whole session timeout
period.