zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ben Hsu <ben....@criticalmedia.com>
Subject cross data center leader election?
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2014 22:33:43 GMT
Hello Zookeepers

We would like to use Zookeeper for master election, with the master and the
failover in two different data centers. Concretely, what we are thinking of
is this:

Zookeeper runs in one data center (potentially AWS or other cloud provider)
Process 1 runs in data center 1, in one location
Process 2 runs in data center 2, in a second location

Process 1 and Process 2  both connect to ZK using an election recipe.

Process 1 runs normally, and Process 2 runs as a standby. When Process 1
dies Process 2 will detect the death (using ZK election) and take over.

Our question is, is this feasible with the latencies and levels of
reliability we can expect to see. Has anyone on this list tried this? What
was your experience?