zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Lu, Boying" <Boying...@emc.com>
Subject RE: Best strategy to test Zookeeper
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2014 05:46:30 GMT
Can we put all these together in our webpage?
This is valuable to all the new ZK developers

From: "Jürgen Wagner (DVT)" [mailto:juergen.wagner@devoteam.com]
Sent: 2014年11月11日 13:15
To: user@zookeeper.apache.org
Subject: Re: Best strategy to test Zookeeper

Hello Ibrahim,
  do the following:

- Create a znode /tests/status and keep setting a Watcher on it to look out for data updates.
This is one process just watching the znode and logging times of changes.

- Run your second process which actually performs the tests, plus it will update /tests/status
as the last request after having performed all tests. /tests/status may be set to, e.g., "completed"
or a timestamp indicating the time when that request was sent. This is the second process
creating the test scenario.

What will now happen is the following:

- The Watcher process will sit there and wait for /tests/status updates.
- The test process will run and finally update the special znode.
- The Watcher process will be notified of the update (the test completion) and log the test
completion time, plus the value found in the special znode.

As there is a total ordering of all requests within the test process session, you can be sure
that the update to /tests/status is in fact the last operation, i.e., all of your async requests
have been completed and all data is really persistently stored in Zookeeper. If you have sub-tests
or different phases in your tests, these phases could make intermediate updates of your status
znode, providing the time when the actual operations of the respective phase have been processed
and completed by Zookeeper.

If you want to be really precise, you would run the /tests/status setting without any tests
and discount this execution time from the results of your test. That would be the (miniscule)
overhead of the final test completion latch.

Best regards,
--Jürgen