zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Jürgen Wagner (DVT)" <juergen.wag...@devoteam.com>
Subject Re: A suggestion about the design for znode version in ZooKeeper
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2014 03:41:50 GMT
It depends. Zookeeper is a rather primitive instrument. Libraries like
Curator add more complex constructs on top and makes handling them easy.
You may create your own Zookeeper abstraction library. Clients should
not have to deal with the raw Zookeeper interface, anyway.

The point is: you are making implicit assumptions about how Zookeeper
operation semantics should be, and this is currentliy not compatible
with the optimistic model of Zookeeper. Your assumptions need to be made
explicit and mapped to a transaction model that works for you and only
utilize the primitives provided by Zookeeper by not making assumptions
beyond what's supported. It's not hard, but requires a bit of an
abstraction layer. THAT will actually reduce complexity on the client side.

Best regards,
--Jürgen

On 16.11.2014 03:28, Robin wrote:
> Hi Vamsi and Jurgen,
>

> Thanks for your explanation and I believe that your suggestions will work. However, both
of these solutions need extra complexity for client code. If this can be solved at ZooKeeper
side with little effort, it will be great.