zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ritesh Jaltare <rjalt...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: RE: A question about sequential order consistency that zookeeper garantees
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2014 20:54:08 GMT
Hi bit1129

Zookeeper provides 2 basic ordering guarantees:

1) Linearizable writes: What this means is all updates that change the
state of zookeeper are serializable and respect the precedence order.

2) FIFO client order: All requests from a given client are executed in the
order that they were sent by the client.

Now let us take your scenario and see how these 2 ordering guarantees
interact. . Suppose Client 1 sends request-1A and  request-1B in order  and
Client2 sends request-2A and request-2B in order. These requests can reach
the zookeeper server in any order. What zookeeper guarantees is that
 request-1A and request-1B would retain the same order in the processing
pipeline. That is,  request-1B would be processed by zookeeper only after
request-1A. And similarly for Client 2 , request-2B would be processed by
zookeeper only after request-2A.

So the possible valid orderings are

Request-2A -> Request-1A -> Request 2B -> Request-1B

Request-1A -> Request-2A -> Request 2B -> Request-1B

Request-1A -> Request-2A -> Request 1B -> Request-2B

and so on...

In each of thee orderings, you can see that zookeeper maintains a fifo
client order. What zookeeper offers is Asynchronous Linearizability and not
sequential consistency. Asynchronous Linearizability is a stonger condition
that sequential consistency.

Thanks
Ritesh Jaltare, Pivotal

--