zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Alen Čaljkušić <scuderiafore...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: zklogtool - transactions and data tree monitoring tool
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2014 18:41:33 GMT
Gain of having code in contrib folder is that people would know about a
tool. Most of the ZooKeeper users are not subscribed to this mailing list
but everyone has looked into contrib folder to find useful tools. However,
I agree that contrib is not a good place for development because committers
would need to check in code. Maybe it would be good idea to check in only
releases while development is done in different repository.

Starting incubator project is great idea if I am able to get enough
interest. I'm not really sure how to spread the word about the project. I'm
pretty sure that this tool can be very useful in some cases. For example
when something breaks down during tests or in production environment this
tool provides fast way to reconstruct events. API can be used to implement
sanity check monitor that monitors interaction between components without
affecting ZooKeeper service. What do you thing about that use case or using
it in tests in general?

Timeline feature is a pretty good idea. My next planned steps are to write
this tool in Swing with interface similar to ZooInspector (or maybe extend
ZooInspector) and release on Github so people could try it without having
to compile first.