zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From jlindwall <jlindw...@yahoo.com>
Subject Ramdisk for dataDir and dataLogDir?
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2014 23:06:00 GMT
[Sorry for the repeat message. The website-based mailing list subscription
malfunctioned and I needed to manually subscribe]

Is it possible to use a ramdisk for dataDir and/or dataLogDir?

My sysadmins are not interested in setting up special disk volumes for
zookeeper (sigh).  They want to use a ramdisk for zookeeper's data storage.

The ensemble will be split across physical machines of course, as much as
possible.  If a node fails, obviously the contents of the ramdisk are lost.
When we restart that machine and fire up zoookeeper, will that zookeeper
node synch up properly?

The zookeeper admin guide suggest so; even saying to delete version-2 dirs
from dataDir and dataLogDir if database corruption occurs on a node.  The
caveat being: the other servers in the ensemble are still up.

Assuming this will work functionally, what are the performance and stability
implications of this choice?  Any special risks?

Thanks!