zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From tobe <tobeg3oo...@gmail.com>
Subject Why sessionTimeout is restricted by tickTime
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2014 03:53:01 GMT
Refer to the official guide, we know that the negotiationTimeout must be
greater than twice tickTime and smaller than 20 times of tickTime.

I know the tickTime should not be too large or even larger than
sessionTimeout, or the session will time out all the time. This limitation
is reasonable, but why the sessionTimeout must be smaller than 20 times of
tickTime?

The problem happens in our production environment. We share a ZooKeeper
cluster for a few HBase cluster. By default, the tickTime is 2s and the
sessionTimeout is 30s. It's ok. But now one of our HBase clusters need to
increase the sessionTimeout to 90s because of long time  gc. After updating
the sessionTimout in HBase, we have to update the tickTime in ZooKeeper.
And this setting may have an effect on other HBase clusters.

So I wonder why ZooKeeper has this limitation. Can anyone explain to me?