zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Gaurav Saxena <gsaxen...@gmail.com>
Subject Data loss scenario
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:24:09 GMT
I am curious about a seemingly data loss scenario. I describe it below

There are three zookeeper servers A, B, and C.
1. At one point in time t1 the state of the system is as follows:
A is up and contains data d1, d2. A is master
B is up and contains data d1, d2
C is up and contains data d1, d2

2. At time t2 C goes down. The state of the system at t2 is
A is up and contains data d1, d2. A is master
B is up and contains data d1, d2
C is down and its log contains data d1, d2

3. At time t3 the state of the system changes
A is up and contains data d1, d2, d3. A is master
B is up and contains data d1, d2, d3
C is down and its log contains data d1, d2

4. At time t4, C comes up and also becomes the master, while A and B are
also up

Question: Because C is master, will the logs of A and B be truncated to
contain only d1 and d2? Is this considered a data loss scenario? If yes, is
there an issue around it?

--
Regards
Gaurav Saxena