zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jon Bringhurst <jbringhu...@linkedin.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Zookeeper a good fit?
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2014 15:52:22 GMT
it really depends on the volume of tasks you're dealing with.

If you have a medium volume of background tasks (say, more than one task every 5 seconds with
high growth potential) it might be a good idea to consider something which was designed to
perform as a task queue (things like http://www.celeryproject.org/, http://gearman.org/, and
https://github.com/resque/resque fit into this category).

If you have a much higher number of tasks (more than a few per second, possibly millions of
tasks per second), something like https://kafka.apache.org/ (very high volume), or http://www.rabbitmq.com/
(medium-high volume) might be a good fit for the job.

If you have a very low volume of tasks (a few per minute), you might be able to get away with
a quick queue implementation directly on top of zookeeper. Take a look at the queue recipes
at https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.1.2/recipes.html#sc_recipes_Queues (also at http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2009/05/building-a-distributed-concurrent-queue-with-apache-zookeeper/).
It shouldn't be too much effort to whip up something using https://kazoo.readthedocs.org/en/latest/.

There's a ton of systems out there to do something like this (I've even made one myself https://github.com/hpc/libcircle),
so there's a good chance I've missed the one that would be perfect for your use case. However,
the links in this email should give you a decent starting point.

-Jon

On Aug 18, 2014, at 7:41 AM, Phil Burress <philburresseme@gmail.com<mailto:philburresseme@gmail.com>>