zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From James Mulcahy <james_mulc...@apple.com>
Subject Unbalanced client connections
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2014 09:40:45 GMT

Hello,

I run a 5 node ZooKeeper ensemble, with ~900 clients connected at a given time.  I’m noticing
that at any one point in time, all the clients are generally connected to the same ZooKeeper
node.

Looking back over the graphs I have which track this, there has only been one brief period
where one node didn’t have >90% of the clients; and during that period, two nodes shared
roughly 50% of the clients each.

Is this expected behaviour?  Is there anything I can do to tune this, to encourage the clients
to be more balanced?

My expectation was that the clients would self-balance — I thought I’d read that somewhere
in the documentation, but I can’t find a reference for that now.

Thanks in advance,

—James