zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: Using Zookeeper as an authentication/authorization database backend
Date Fri, 23 May 2014 21:44:52 GMT
I have a Tech Note for Curator about ZK being bad for queues. Most of the points apply to using
it as a database:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CURATOR/TN4

-JZ

From: Jeff Bachtel jbachtel@bericotechnologies.com
Reply: user@zookeeper.apache.org user@zookeeper.apache.org
Date: May 23, 2014 at 4:41:19 PM
To: user@zookeeper.apache.org user@zookeeper.apache.org
Subject:  Using Zookeeper as an authentication/authorization database backend

I would like to use Zookeeper as the authoritative database backend for a
Single Sign On application, due to its high availability features. I know
this is not a traditional Zookeeper usage.

What will be my challenges and limitation in using Zookeeper in this
context? Brainstorming, I came across the following, but is there anything
I'm missing?

Backups
* use zktreedump
* no incremental backup capability

Database size
* database must fit in heap memory

All updates must pass through primary node
* limit on update throughput

I don't believe any of the challenges/limits disqualify Zookeeper for my
use case, but I'm interested to know if their are others.

Thanks!

Jeff Bachtel