zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Cameron McKenzie <mckenzie....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ZOOKEEPER-900 / 901 / 1678
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2014 22:48:01 GMT
Flavio,
I modified the zookeeper.cnxTimeout system property to 1000ms (it defaults
to 5000ms), and the election succeeds and stays up. The ZK cluster works as
expected. So, there is definitely some interaction between the connection
timeout and the leader election.

I notice that in QuorumCnxManager that the connectOne() method is
synchronized, and this method is also blocking on the socket connect. I
also notice that both the receiveConnection() and toSend() methods both
call into this method as well, so they would be blocked while an attempt to
connect to a dead host occurs. This is potentially quite a large window to
be blocked for (5 seconds by default), but I haven't looked into the code
in enough detail to understand what the implications of this blocking are.
This certainly looks like a possible cause of the issue though.
cheers