zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Maciej SmoleĊ„ski <jezd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What should be the majority in an ensemble for Zookeeper
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 18:59:30 GMT
I think the author wants to compare 3-servers system with 4-servers
system.
In a 3-servers system the quorum consists of 2 servers and system
tolerates 1-server crash.
In a 4-servers system the quorum consists of 3 servers and system
tolerates also 1-server crash.
In general system works by sending messages among the quorum of servers.
It means that 3-servers system is better - as it tolerates the same
number of crashes, but quorum there is smaller. In consequence in
3-servers system will be less messages in the network - servers will
wait for less acknowledgments to collect - the latency and throughput
should be better.