zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From chaitanya_r <chaitanya_spr...@yahoo.com>
Subject What should be the majority in an ensemble for Zookeeper
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 18:45:16 GMT
I am trying to understand Zookeeper using this book -  Zookeeper By Flavio
Junqueira, Benjamin Reed <http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920028901.do>
, it is mentioned that we need to select a majority of servers for quorum as
stated here:

"Say that we use four servers for an ensemble. A majority of servers is
comprised of three servers. However, this system will only tolerate a single
crash, because a double crash makes the system lose majority. Consequently,
with four servers, we can only tolerate a single crash, but quorums now are
larger, which implies that we need more acknowledgments for each request.
The bottom line is that we should always shoot for an odd number of
servers."

Please help me in understanding this.

How do we select the majority of servers for a given ensemble?

Why does this statement say quorums now are larger and why do we need more
acknowledgments for each request?