zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From German Blanco <german.blanco.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to join quorum without restarting existing servers
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2013 14:49:25 GMT
Hello Jae,

I think that the answer to your question is "no, there is no benefit in a
rolling restart in that case".
If you remove a machine that was hosting a zookeeper server that was part
of a cluster, and replace it with a new machine, with a zookeeper server
running the same software version and listening on the same IP and ports,
then this new server will join the cluster, synchronize and start working
normally.
I wouldn't recommend to replace more than one server at a time, and I think
that it is better if the new server joins while the existing quorum is
stable (avoid leader elections while the new server joins, i.e. avoid
restarts or disconnections of the existing servers).

Best regards,

Germán.