zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From <Ben.Yo...@sungard.com>
Subject Leader election in C# client
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2013 09:57:59 GMT
Hi,

I was looking at the leader election algorithm in the .NET client at https://github.com/ewhauser/zookeeper/blob/trunk/src/dotnet/ZooKeeperNet.Recipes/LeaderElection.cs

There is a point I don't understand and I was wondering if someone could clarify for me. The
recipe creates ephemeral nodes of the form "election-<sessionid>-<sequentialid>",
I think to be able to see if it has already created the node (perhaps due to a retry?). However,
doesn't having the session id in the node name then throw out the sorting of the nodes in
the next step, to find the previous node to watch? I'd have thought it would then be sorting
by session id and not sequential id? Perhaps that doesn't matter as long as only one node
gets picked?

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Young . Senior Software Engineer . Adaptiv . Position, Risk & Operations . SunGard
. Enterprise House, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9ZR .  Tel +44 (0) 1223 266042 . ben.young@sungard.com
. www.sungard.com