zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Srikanth R <rss...@gmail.com>
Subject zkclient timeout issue
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2013 17:31:06 GMT
Hi Guys,

Need some expert advice :)

I have a 3 Server Zookeeper ensemble. Only one client (hadoop-zkfc with
5second timeout)  is connected to zookeeper. There is no other activity,
one txn is recorded every 10 min in zookeeper txn log. Zookeeper is as
close to being idle, except for the session traffic from the hadoop-zkfc
client.

Even with no writes happening to the zookeeper data dir, if  I start some
disk intensive process on the same partition  that has datadir (like
raid-check or cat'ing huge files), I am observing zkclient session
timeouts. (Error: Client has not heard back from Server in 3334 ms, so
disconnecting and reconnecting)

strace on zookeeper process shows that it received the 12byte heartbeat
from the client, but has not responded. Also strace does not show any disk
activity from zoookeper.

So the question is does zookeeper do anything on the disk even when its
idle (not writing any txns to disk). why does the datadir disk utilization
affect zookeeper even without any traffic ?

Any help is appreciated in this regard.

Thanks,
Srikanth