zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Bruce Pennypacker <bruce.pennypac...@gmail.com>
Subject Best practices for using zookeeper in an Amazon EC2 environment
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:27:35 GMT
We've started using an ensemble of 3 zookeepers in an EC2 environment to
support a solr cloud setup.  I was wondering if anybody else has done so
and if they have any recommendations, especially pertaining to instance
sizes, DNS, etc.

One particular question I have with regards to EC2: We had an issue a while
back where we had to reboot one of our zookeeper instances.  Given the way
AWS works it meant the server was assigned a new IP address.  Our current
configuration (generated automatically by an in-house tool) uses the IP
addresses of each server in the zookeeper configuration file.  That led to
issues since the only way we could get the ensemble to recognize the
rebooted server was to restart all the zookeepers so that they got the new
IP of the rebooted instance.

Given the nature of AWS and the likelihood that we'll need to reboot
another zookeeper server eventually, what is the best approach to defining
the hosts?  Can local /etc/hosts files where the we can update the IP be
enough, or would we need to switch to using DNS for the zookeepers?  I'm
guessing we might have to go the DNS route but I'm not 100% convinced.

Thanks,

-Bruce