zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Hoggarth, Gil" <Gil.Hogga...@bl.uk>
Subject RE: ZK ensemble resused or dedicated?
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2013 13:00:53 GMT
"being unable to manipulate" is more an issue of my skills rather than anything else. Up to
now we'd always used dedicated ZK ensembles, but it seemed sensible to reuse the formal, production
ensemble (which previously only managed one service). Then I realised the numShards mistake
had been made, and I didn't like the look of using zkCli to fix it as I'd never used it before
(never had a reason to before either).

I'm assuming the way you'd 'manipulate one thing without changing others' is via zkCli, yes?
Any suggestions of good tutorials to its use? I can set up a dev scenario so I can test and
learn, but I'm unaware of how to use it. (Or would you recommend something else? If so, what?)

Many thanks for your comments - all help very gratefully received.
Gil

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Dunning [mailto:ted.dunning@gmail.com]
Sent: 28 October 2013 12:10
To: user@zookeeper.apache.org
Subject: Re: ZK ensemble resused or dedicated?

For production settings with well-behaved applications, sharing is not a bad idea.  I would
definitely isolate development efforts onto a dev instance of ZK.  And if you have trigger
happy admins who think rebooting fixes all ills, I would consider separating apps.

How is it that you wound up with your problem of being unable to manipulate one thing without
changing others?