zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Tyree <tyree...@gmail.com>
Subject Exception when following leader
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2013 18:12:26 GMT
Hello all,

Recently one of our production zookeeper nodes in a cluster of 5 suddenly
dropped all of its connections (about 3000-4000), shortly thereafter
accepting connections once more. Looking at the logs, I saw the following
event occur:

2013-08-12 04:50:32,670 - WARN
 [QuorumPeer[myid=2]/0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:2181:Follower@89] - Exception when
following the leader
java.io.EOFException
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:375)
        at
org.apache.jute.BinaryInputArchive.readInt(BinaryInputArchive.java:63)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.QuorumPacket.deserialize(QuorumPacket.java:83)
        at
org.apache.jute.BinaryInputArchive.readRecord(BinaryInputArchive.java:108)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.Learner.readPacket(Learner.java:152)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.Follower.followLeader(Follower.java:85)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.QuorumPeer.run(QuorumPeer.java:740)
2013-08-12 04:50:32,670 - INFO
 [QuorumPeer[myid=2]/0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:2181:Follower@166] - shutdown called
java.lang.Exception: shutdown Follower
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.Follower.shutdown(Follower.java:166)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.QuorumPeer.run(QuorumPeer.java:744)

It seems that Java gets an exception when it hits end of file when reading
from the leader socket, and as a result the Follower immediately shuts
down. Is this expected behavior? Why would all of the connections need to
be closed? Why can't the follower just reconnect to the leader?

Thanks,
Steve Tyree