zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Gunnar Wagenknecht <gun...@wagenknecht.org>
Subject Re: Zookeeper backward compatibility
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2013 07:25:03 GMT
Hi,

On 2013-06-27 12:00:11 +0000, Monish r said:
> Is zookeeper 3.4.5  backward compatible with zookeeper 3.3.5 ? . If so
>
> kindly point  to the documentation where the backward compatibility is
>
> explained in detail.

We went through the process of updating our stack from 3.3.3 to 3.4.5.
It was possible to do a rolling update of the servers. We continued to
use the 3.3.3 client in the application. During QA we discovered that
we had to defer the 3.4.5 client update until after the server update.
When connecting with the 3.4.5 client to a 3.3.3 ensamble the client
only allowed read-only connections. We did not investigate the reason
further, though.

Because of our experiences, I suggest deferring the client update till
all servers are updated.

Anyway, in order to use any new API of a later client it *must* be
supported by the server as well. New API in 3.4 won't work with a 3.3
server.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht