zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Mohammad Shamma <mohammadsha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Zookeeper Configuration Sync
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2013 20:26:51 GMT
Sorry for the late reply,

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM, Alexander Shraer <shralex@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Mohammad,
>
> +1 for the unique ensemble identifier request. We actually discussed
> this a long time ago but somehow never got to do this.
> Can you open a JIRA for this ?

I will do that.

> Suppose that server A has the latest log but only talks with server B
> during leader election (C is down or slow). A doesn't know whether
> or not the latest operations in its log are committed (in this case C
> would have them, but A doesn't know if this is the case). So to be
> safe
> everything in A's log gets committed in this case.

> We took the approach that a reconfiguration is treated similarly to
> normal data updates. When a server has the most up-to-date log and
> talks with a majority during leader election, it will be elected
> leader and commit its log to the other servers. It won't truncate its
> log even
> if its clear that some operations were not committed. This is true for
> normal updates as well as for reconfigurations.
>
> BTW, I'm not sure why you are shutting down servers or clearing the
> data during reconfigurations, or why you're manually changing config
> files.

The reason I am shutting down and clearing the data of the "to be added"
servers is to delete their history as the intention here is to make them
join a new fresh deployment.

You can add servers to the ensemble by invoking the reconfig command
> and this will make all the necessary changes to the config files,
> including specifying the right config version.

If that is the case, what goes into the zookeeper config file of a new
zookeeper server that is supposed to join an existing ensemble?

--
Mohammad Shamma