zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From kishore g <g.kish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Watching children updates
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2013 05:50:22 GMT
Good idea beware of failure scenarios.

lets say you do
#1. parent.setData #2 child.setData

your watch might be triggered and when you read the children child may not
be changed yet. so u will miss the child data change

other option is
#1 child.setData #2 parent.setData
if you fail after setting the child data, there wont be any watch triggered.

Only option is probably doing child.setData and parent.setData in the same
transaction and probably the multitransaction can be helpful. But if you
are updating children often the multitransaction might fail quite
frequently because of concurrent updates on the parent

I think its better for zk to solve this problem the right way. Instead of
solving the problem of large number of watches in zk, it might be a better
idea to add the concept of watching childDataChange in zookeeper. I dont
think the implementation will be any more complicated than triggering
watches for child creation.

Thoughts ?