zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Efficient backup and a reasonable restore of an ensemble
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 05:32:34 GMT
Sergey

It isn't that bad.  The deal is that a snapshot takes time to write to disk.  During this
time updates are still allowed to the contents of memory.  All such updates are logged however
so if you have the transaction log from the moment before the snap starts until some moment
after the snap completes you can load the snapshot and then replay the log to get a moment
in time snapshot as of the time if the final transaction that you have applied.

This works because all if the logged transactions are idem potent. If they are applied to
part of the snapshot that already recorded their effect, there is no problem.

If you want you can even do the replay in a side process after the snapshot is complete so
that you don't have to carry around the transaction log.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 8, 2013, at 21:42, Sergey Maslyakov <evolvah@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kishore,
>
> This sounds like a very elaborate tool. I was trying to find a simplistic
> approach but what Thawan said about "fuzzy snapshots" makes me a little
> afraid that there is no simple solution.
>

> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 11:05 PM, kishore g <g.kishore@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Agree, we already have such a tool. In fact we use it to reconstruct the
>> sequence of events that led to a failure and actually restore the system to
>> a previous stable point and replay the events. Unfortunately this is tied
>> closely with Helix but it should be easy to make this a generic tool.
>>
>> Sergey is this something that will be useful in your case.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kishore G
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Thawan Kooburat <thawan@fb.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On restore part, I think having a separate utility to manipulate the
>>> data/snap dir (by truncating the log/removing snapshot to a given zxid)
>>> would be easier than modifying the server.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Thawan Kooburat

>> functionality.
>> zxid/timestamp.