zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Mohammad Shamma <mohammadsha...@gmail.com>
Subject Zookeeper Configuration Sync
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 22:00:31 GMT
I have a use case where I dynamically grow a zookeeper ensemble on the same
fixed set of machines multiple times. In each iteration, the ensemble is
grown incrementally till it consists of "n" servers. I will refer to the
machines hosting the servers as zk-1, zk-2, ..., zk-n.

At the beginning of each iteration, I wipe out the zookeeper data
directories of zk-1 and zk-2, then statically configure the zookeeper
servers on both of them to form a 2-way ensemble. After that, I start
growing the ensemble incrementally by reconfiguring the zookeeper ensemble
to include zk-i, then clearing, configure and starting the zookeeper server
on zk-i (that is for i in range(2,n)).

I was not shutting down or cleaning up the previous ensemble zookeeper
servers at the end of each iteration. After initializing the 2-way ensemble
on zk-1 and zk-2, I observed that the servers from the old deployment were
contacting the servers of the new ensemble and triggering an ensemble
reconfiguration. A quick look at the code seems to suggest that this is
simply triggered by the virtue that the config version value of the old
deployment server is higher than that of that found on the new ensemble
servers. Can anyone confirm my understanding of this behaviour of zookeeper?

I also noticed that his reconfiguration holds true for n=3. For example
lets say zookeeper  servers on zk-1 and zk-2 are freshly configured to form
a 2-way ensemble, and zk-3 contains a leftover server that was part of an
older 3-way ensemble (that included two obselete servers on zk-1 and zk-2).
To me it seems a bit counter intuitive for one server (on zk-3) to drive
the configuration of two other servers (zk1, zk2). The reason why it
seems counter intuitive is that the majority of the servers in the ensemble
agree on a different config version. Can somebody explain how zookeeper
handles this situation?

One final note, it would be really useful if a zookeeper ensemble would
have a unique identifier that could be set in the "zoo.cfg" file. Whenever
servers communicate witch each other, they would verify that they are
talking to peers of the same ensemble before commencing with further
actions. Does that sound like a reasonable request?

Thanks,

--
Mohammad Shamma