zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Matt Wise <m...@nextdoor.com>
Subject Re: Zookeeper and SSL...
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2013 16:38:10 GMT
No thoughts on encrypting and authenticating zookeeper-to-zookeeper communication?

On Mar 8, 2013, at 3:13 PM, Matt Wise <matt@nextdoor.com> wrote:

> Currently we run Zookeeper out on the big bad scary internet using Stunnel as an encryption
and authentication system for our clients. Our single 5-node Zookeeper quorum is in a single
datacenter where we can control network access and feel reasonably safe.

> I've been thinking about scale recently, and I would love to be able to put Zookeeper
Observer nodes in each of our regions. We don't use VPC or any other network-to-network tunneling
technology. Stunnel is simple when you have one client, and one endpoint, but it sucks when
you have multiple servers all trying to talk to each other.

> Are there any plans to add SSL support to Zookeeper? Specifically to its own private
cluster communication ports? If not, what about running a Zookeeper Observer in a "client"
mode where I can point it to any of our 5 quorum servers, and it acts as a kind of proxy for
data -- without really "joining" the cluster?