zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Alan Cabrera <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Kazoo 'state listener' issue...
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:18:44 GMT
Without really digging into this I'll toss in my initial observation.

Calling zk while still being inside a zk callback seems a bit dangerous.  I would have a queue
and event thread and have work from the callbacks feed this queue which would be executed
inside the event thread.

Regards,
Alan

On Dec 9, 2012, at 2:30 PM, Matt Wise wrote:

> Just to clarify, if you go and change test() into:
>
>>    def test(self):
>>        # now register a node
>>        self.register_node('/abc/a')
>>        self._zk.stop()
>>        self._zk.start()
>>        self.register_node('/abc/a')
>>        self._zk.get_children('/abc')
>>

> and then remove these lines from the state_handler() method:
>>
>>>           for node in nodes.iteritems():
>>>               self.register_node(node[0], data=node[1])
>>

> then it works perfectly.. no hang, nothing. it seems that the register_node cannot be
called from within the state handler class. Why?

> On Dec 9, 2012, at 2:26 PM, Matt Wise <matt@nextdoor.com> wrote:
>
>> Hrmm here's a cleaner way to reproduce the issue:
>>
>> test.py:
>>> from kazoo.client import KazooClient
>>> from kazoo.client import KazooState
>>> from kazoo.handlers.threading import TimeoutError
>>> from kazoo.handlers.gevent import SequentialGeventHandler
>>> import logging
>>>

>>> class Test(object):
>>>   def __init__(self):
>>>       self.log = logging.getLogger()
>>>       format = 'zk_watcher[%(name)s-%(thread)d-%(funcName)s: (%(levelname)s)
%(message)s'
>>>       self.log.setLevel(logging.INFO)
>>>       formatter = logging.Formatter(format)
>>>       handler = logging.StreamHandler()
>>>       handler.setFormatter(formatter)
>>>       self.log.addHandler(handler)
>>>
>>>       self.registered_nodes = {}
>>>
>>>       self.log.setLevel(logging.DEBUG)
>>>
>>>       self._zk = KazooClient(hosts='localhost:2182', handler=SequentialGeventHandler())
>>>       self._zk.start()
>>>       self._zk.add_listener(self._state_listener)
>>>       self._state_listener(self._zk.state)
>>>
>>>   def test(self):
>>>       # now register a node
>>>       self.register_node('/abc/a')
>>>       self._zk.stop()
>>>       self._zk.start()
>>>       self._zk.get_children('/abc')
>>>
>>>   def register_node(self, node, data=None):
>>>       if node in self.registered_nodes:
>>>           if data == self.registered_nodes[node]:
>>>               self.log.debug('Already registered [%s] in data provider.' % node)
>>>               return
>>>       self.log.debug('Registering [%s] in data provider.' % node)
>>>       self._zk.create(node, ephemeral=True, makepath=True)
>>>       self.registered_nodes[node] = data
>>>

>>>   def _state_listener(self,state):
>>>       self.log.warning('Zookeeper connection state changed: %s' % state)
>>>       if state == KazooState.SUSPENDED:
>>>           self.CONNECTION_STATE=False
>>>       elif state == KazooState.LOST:
>>>           self.CONNECTION_STATE=False
>>>       else:
>>>           self.CONNECTION_STATE=True
>>>           nodes = {}
>>>           print self.registered_nodes
>>>           try:
>>>               nodes = self.registered_nodes
>>>           except:
>>>               pass
>>>           self.registered_nodes = {}
>>>           for node in nodes.iteritems():
>>>               self.register_node(node[0], data=node[1])
>>
>> python
>>
>> (watch it hang ... )
>>

>> On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:22 PM, Matt Wise <matt@nextdoor.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've got a weird connection issue playing around with Kazoo... If I do something
simple like:

>>> it works fine... the node is re-created, all is happy.
>>>
>>> However, if i try to use a state_listener callback to automatically re-register
any paths that we had registered on our first connection, it fails. In fact, it doesn't really
fail .. it hangs. This only happens if we try to do re-register the paths from within the
state listener. If we do it outside of that callback (manually) it works fine. Silly code
snippet that will cause the problem:

>>> If you run this in a python shell, after the _zk.start(), your path will not
reregister... instead, the _state_listener() method will basically hang when it calls _re_register_nodes().
The _re_register_nodes() method hangs on the first attempt to call register_node(), which
will hang at the _zk.create. Obviously the above code is a bastardized stripped down version
of what we're working with, but it replicates the problem. This could just be a problem with
my understanding of how the add_listener callback works.. but I'm a bit confused here.

>>> Long term, the goal is to have our object able to handle a disconnect and gracefully
re-generate any paths that had been disconnected during the connection loss. Ironically Kazoo
handles this already with its 'watcher' recipe. It just doesn't have the same kind of thing
for any paths we create with KazooClient.create().