zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Michi Mutsuzaki <mi...@cs.stanford.edu>
Subject Re: Authentication mechanism
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:11:49 GMT
Hi Jaewoong,

>>> 1. Is the above scenario true?

Yes. Initially the root znode ("/") is open to world:anyone. You need
to set the permission as a part of your bootstrap process.

>>> 2. Isn't there any access control on "Connect" permission level regardless of
znode-level ACLs? For example, can we deny client connection before its access to any znode
when it comes without a valid authInfo?

No. I think people usually set connection level ACLs outside of zookeeper.

--Michi

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Jaewoong Choi <jw@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> I believe I've read it several times.  I guess you refers to the following statement:
> "... When a client connects to ZooKeeper and authenticates itself, ZooKeeper associates
all the ids that correspond to a client with the clients connection. "

> From my understanding based on my real tests, client authenticates by calling ZooKeeper#setAuthInfo.
 In other words, authentication never happens if client bypass authentication #setAuthInfo.
 Could you please confirm and clarify?  Haven't you been able to reproduce the scenario I
described below?

> Thanks,
> Jaewoong
>
> On Nov 22, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Flavio Junqueira wrote:
>
>> Hi Jaewoong,
>>
>> I'm not sure if you have had a chance to look at the documentation:
>>
>>       http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.5/zookeeperProgrammers.html#sc_ZooKeeperAccessControl
>>
>> My understanding is that a client authenticates when it connects.
>>
>> -Flavio
>>
>> On Nov 21, 2012, at 8:46 PM, Jaewoong Choi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I got a question regarding ZooKeeper's authentication mechanism.  Let me describe
a scenario first.

>>> 1. ZooKeeper server started up with a customized AuthenticationProvider (e.g.
XyzAuthenticationProvider which authentication scheme is "xyz") enabled with -Dzookeeper.authProvider.1=class.path.to.XyzAuthenticationProvider
option.
>>> 2. But all znodes (including "/" and "/zookeeper") haven't been assigned any
ACL of neither this "xyz" scheme or "auth" scheme s.t. they are open to the world by default.
>>> 3. At this stage, any ZooKeeper client without any authInfo ( who hasn't invoked
org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeper#setAuthInfo ) are permitted to do anything!!  e.g. It can create
znodes under "/" and etc.