zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jaewoong Choi ...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Authentication mechanism
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 05:07:14 GMT
I believe I've read it several times.  I guess you refers to the following statement:
"... When a client connects to ZooKeeper and authenticates itself, ZooKeeper associates all
the ids that correspond to a client with the clients connection. "

>From my understanding based on my real tests, client authenticates by calling ZooKeeper#setAuthInfo.
 In other words, authentication never happens if client bypass authentication #setAuthInfo.
 Could you please confirm and clarify?  Haven't you been able to reproduce the scenario I
described below?

Thanks,
Jaewoong

On Nov 22, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Flavio Junqueira wrote:

> Hi Jaewoong,
>
> I'm not sure if you have had a chance to look at the documentation:
>
> 	http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.5/zookeeperProgrammers.html#sc_ZooKeeperAccessControl
>
> My understanding is that a client authenticates when it connects.
>
> -Flavio
>
> On Nov 21, 2012, at 8:46 PM, Jaewoong Choi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I got a question regarding ZooKeeper's authentication mechanism.  Let me describe
a scenario first.

>> 1. ZooKeeper server started up with a customized AuthenticationProvider (e.g. XyzAuthenticationProvider
which authentication scheme is "xyz") enabled with -Dzookeeper.authProvider.1=class.path.to.XyzAuthenticationProvider
option.
>> 2. But all znodes (including "/" and "/zookeeper") haven't been assigned any ACL
of neither this "xyz" scheme or "auth" scheme s.t. they are open to the world by default.
>> 3. At this stage, any ZooKeeper client without any authInfo ( who hasn't invoked
org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeper#setAuthInfo ) are permitted to do anything!!  e.g. It can create
znodes under "/" and etc.

>> This is what I verified with my test using zookeeper_server-3.4.3 and zookeeper-3.4.3
client library.

>> Here come some questions.
>>
>> 1. Is the above scenario true?
>> 2. Isn't there any access control on "Connect" permission level regardless of znode-level
ACLs? For example, can we deny client connection before its access to any znode when it comes
without a valid authInfo?