zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Henry Robinson <he...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Python C binding or C API has password byte mishandling bug
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:58:38 GMT
Hi Ben -

Possibly you're running in to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1398, which
is to do with zkpython prematurely truncating a password due to it containing a null byte.
Unfortunately that's not yet resolved, but it's worth checking to see if your problem is the
same.

Henry

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 23, 2012, at 1:58 AM, Ben Bangert <ben@groovie.org> wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2012, at 4:38 PM, Ben Bangert <ben@groovie.org> wrote:
>
>> I tweaked the C layer to output this after connection:
>>                   LOG_INFO(("Password is: %02x", zh->client_id.passwd));
>>
>> Granted, I should probably use a better print modifier, I'm a C newb unfortunately.
This is what I see in my logs during the problem:

>> ZooKeeper: INFO: check_events@1747: session establishment complete on server [127.0.0.1:20000],
sessionId=0x139507b99fe00c6, negotiated timeout=10000
>> ZooKeeper: INFO: check_events@1748: Password is: 2502978
>> kazoo.testing: DEBUG: Password is:
>
> For a possibly more helpful message, I changed it to:
> LOG_INFO(("Password is: %#llx", zh->client_id.passwd));
>
> Here's a failure with that:
> ZooKeeper: INFO: check_events@1749: Password is: 0x101883698
> kazoo.testing: DEBUG: Password is: c46b53ec5b9290, length: 7
>
> Here we can see that the C layer got a password (not sure on C encoding if thats 16 bytes
or not), and the Python one was 7 characters (prolly 6 chars, it seems to count one extra).
So something is quite wrong here, and of course supplying the wrong password gets a session
expired issue.

> If someone that knows C better can translate that password back to the raw bytes, perhaps
it'd be a good test case somewhere to see that the bytes aren't mucked up someone on the way
to Python.