zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ben Bangert <...@groovie.org>
Subject Re: Zookeeper protocol weirdness and pure Python kazoo client
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 05:04:17 GMT
On Aug 30, 2012, at 9:00 PM, Ben Bangert <ben@groovie.org> wrote:

> zkpython (Python binding to C lib):
> - Approx. 1500 lines of C (Not including the C lib itself, which is another ~ 8000 lines
of code)
> - Anyone that knows and wants to read the C library *and* Python *and* the Python C binding
tricks can trouble-shoot and contribute. And maybe the patches will actually be accepted and
incorporated at some point...
> - Only usable with CPython
> - Worst case... Python segfaults
>
> I really don't know many (hardly any) Python developers that know C well enough to debug
it or dive into it. If their only Zookeeper experience is marred by bugs in the 'black box'
of C, they'll move on to something else. Which saddens me cause I think Zookeeper is pretty
awesome.

Wanted to update this cause I think this might have come off as harsh. I greatly appreciate
the Python C binding work, without it I wouldn't have started using Zookeeper. I definitely
think we can do better to make it more enjoyable to use Zookeeper from Python though.

- Ben