zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jared Cantwell <jared.cantw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic reconfiguration
Date Sat, 28 Jul 2012 15:43:09 GMT
So I'm working through some failure scenarios and I want to make sure I
fully understand the way that dynamic membership changes previous behavior,
so are my expectations correct in this situation:

As in my previous example, lets say that the current membership of voting
participants is {A,B,C,D,E} and we're looking to change membership to
{D,E,F,G,H}.
1. Reconfiguration to {D,E,F,G,H} completes internally
2. D-F update their local configuration files, but A-C do not yet.
3. Power loss to all nodes

Now what happens if A,B, and C come up with configuration files that still
say {A,B,C,D,E}, but no other servers start up yet?  Can A,B and C form a
quorum and elect a leader since they all agree on the same state?  What
then happens when the new membership of D-H starts up?

We're trying to automatically handle node failures during reconfiguration
situations, but it seems like without being able to query all nodes to make
sure you know of the latest membership list there is no safe way to do
this.  I'm wondering if only doing single node additions/removals would
create less complicated failure scenarios.  What are your thoughts and best
practices around this?

Thanks!
Jared

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Jared Cantwell <jared.cantwell@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>> leader/follower semantics previously.
>>
>> So if all connected servers update their config file, does that mean that
>> non-voting followers who aren't part of the new ensemble will lose the
>> entry specific to them in their config file?  I can test this myself, but
>> getting an inside perspective is very helpful.
>>
>> Thanks again for the help!
>> Jared
>>

>> On Jul 27, 2012, at 6:55 PM, Alexander Shraer <shralex@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, any number of followers which are not in the configuration can just
>> connect and listen in. This has always been the case, also in 3.4, I just
>> made use of this for the purpose of adding members during reconfiguration.
>> Moreover, in 3.4 there this bug ZOOKEEPER-1113<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1113>
>> where the leader actually counts the votes of anyone connected,
>> regardless of config membership :) This is fixed in ZK-107, so they are
>> really non-voting followers.
>>
>> >   I am assuming that's the case, and that it is a follower (and not
>> > participant) by virtue of not being in the official configuration
>> stored in
>> > zookeeper itself.
>>
>> Follower and participant types of servers is not something that was
>> defined in ZK-107. In ZooKeeper every follower/leader is a "participant".
>> Its just that the votes of participants that are not in the configuration
>> are not counted that's why we call them non-voting followers. BTW,
>> obviously a non-voting follower can not become leader (like ZK-1113 this
>> was also not enforced before ZK-107).
>>
>> > And a followup... does zookeeper only overwrite the dynamic
>> > configuration file for nodes that are voting participants?  Such that
>> if I
>> > started a follower and then left it running through some
>> > reconfigurations, its file would not get updated if it was never added
>> as
>> > part of those reconfigurations?
>>
>> No, as soon as it connects to the current leader, its dynamic config file
>> is overwritten with the current configuration as part of the
>> synchronization with the leader. Every time a new configuration is
>> committed, all connected servers (voting, non-voting, observers) will
>> update their dynamic config file, doesn't matter if they're in the config.
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Jared Cantwell <jared.cantwell@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> So does just having the server started and pointing to the existing
>>> ensemble automatically make it a "non participating follower"?  In other
>>> words, there is no need to inform the existing nodes that this new node is
>>> joining as a follower?  And to extend that, there could be any number of
>>> followers that are simply listening in on the event stream?  I am assuming
>>> that's the case, and that it is a follower (and not participant) by virtue
>>> of not being in the official configuration stored in zookeeper itself.

F,G,